Thursday 23 February 2017

For The Love Of Peonies




Hello my loves! So I wanted to do something a bit different for this post and share my undying love for hand lettering with all of you. For those of you who don't know, I'm actually a "Design & Visual Communication" student, which comprises media production (i.e. film making, animation, etc.) and graphic design. I just happened to choose the latter.

Ever since I started studying design in general, I always found myself drawn to fonts and letter forms and that obviously meant that Calligraphy and Typography were two of my favorite courses to date. I was just mesmerized by the way words came to life through the way I moved my pen on paper. It was magic!

That was when I decided to take my lettering obsession one step further by opting to basically teach myself modern brush lettering. It was a whole new world to me where rules did not apply. All the fixed guidelines that you would otherwise conform to in traditional calligraphy, didn’t apply, or they might have to a much smaller extent though. I had a lot more freedom when it came to forms, which was simultaneously liberating and scary.

I started my lettering journey about a year ago, and I took the liberty of documenting most of my work in order to be able to look back at it and see how far I’ve come, or if I’ve made any progress at all. And may I just tell you how satisfying it is to look back at them right now. The progress is just insane! This goes to show that you can literally acquire any skill and achieve anything you set your mind to.

“I still have a long way to go, but I’m already so far from where I used to be, and I’m proud of that.” ~Unknown

This is one of my favourite quotes, and it applies to any goal or journey in life. Let no fear of failure stop you and just go for it (whatever “it” may be)

Have a beautiful rest of you day my loves! xx
SHARE:

2 comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig